Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Fair Review




Totally frustrated. Similar to how I would feel, had I been on a much needed, have to drop 5 sizes- diet, half way there I wander into the bakery and eat 10 deep fried doughnuts with every imaginable calorie oozing out of them.

Only in this case, I am not talking about a diet that I have been on for a short amount of time..., but half of my life. Half of my life I have been working for this day. Granted, half of my life, I have also been raising 6 children, so not every waking moment, but I have thought about this day ALOT.

It has been roughly 20 years that I have been studying, first watercolor, and a few other medias in between, and then not quite 4 years ago I found a deep connection to exploring with oil.

Then the day finally came. I feel so fortunate to have had the opportunity to send my paintings with Ugallery to the AAF 2011 spring show in NYC. I was only able to 'see' the show from photos online.

A few of my paintings were sold . I am always happy to have the opportunity to try something new... and if it goes well, then great.. but if it could be better, the shame would be in not taking the opportunity to learn and grow.

The director, Alex Farkas, and I had a review after the show to help me understand the reaction of the Manhattan crowd towards my work. One repeated comment is the source of this frustration. 'Her work reminds me of Malcolm Liepke, and/or Milt Kobayashi.'

Now, don't get me wrong. I am honored. A few years back I would have been like, YES!! Arms pumping, likely not in the coolest of fashionable ways. Both are widely studied and their work can unzip some hefty sized wallets.

It wasn't exactly news to me, I have heard it before.... 'have you studied with Milt...or Malcolm?".... no, I found Malcolm's work and instantaneously fell in love. There are many reasons why I fell so hard. Some reasons I likely didn't understand, though one thing I knew for sure was that I wanted to create as well as him. At one time I had received a grant for a mentorship with him, the timing didn't work out. I have yet to see either of their original works in person. Advantageously, I have a mentour relationship with Ray Wattenhofer, an artist whom I confidently say is a master and a dear friend of mine.

Malcolm and Milt are masters of their own kind, I am not the first to say it, nor will I be the last.

I want now only to be an artist who has mastered my own signature style. That alone, to me, would feel like a prize worthy of being mentioned in comparable conversation toward masters. An equivalent of finding the treasure chest on a great hunt. The only clues I have right now are...likely buried under a very large rock, and it's not in a doughnut bag.

ANY help is greatly appreciated.

No comments: