Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Inspirational Duckface.....

                                                          16x20 oil on gallery wrap
                                                         (click on any photo to zoom)

                                              
                                *LINK TO THIS PAINTING ON CURRENT AUCTION*

... While admiring some masterworks of previous years I couldn't help but take notice that several of these lovely portraiture style works seemed to be of seated women crafting a needle work piece or some such 'hobby' of the time.   I had to then wonder, what is it that we do today, that wasn't a passion of the past.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist (I am not a rocket scientist)- to figure out that computers have taken hold of generations today.   Most non-rocket scientists who have surfed the net may also take note of the method that the generation today uses the internet to make connections for social purpose.  One seems to be by taking 'plumped up' photos of oneself while standing in front of a mirror- (some define this as duck face) or perhaps a friend will take a photo so you can share the great time you had with anyone else who happens to bump into your picture on the net. 

The rocket scientist who might occasionally browse my blog would know I love to paint faces.  That said, chances are good they might have to be an artist to understand exactly how the process of  inspiration works.  I really shouldn't assume that a scientist might be on another plain than an artist, just making an uneducated, but somewhat experienced guess.

The easiest way to explain how inspiration works for me would be to tell you what I can't do.

I am sure you have all heard similar expression such as 'creating from the soul', right?
Every once in a great while I get this hair brained idea to try something different, maybe abstract, or a folk painting (which I have did a fair amount of  in the past) ....  Have you ever tried to get lemonade from a cow?  It just doesn't work!

To make a long story shorter, the rocket scientist who realizes that I love to paint faces, would then put two and two together and understand why I might be inspired to paint 'duck faces'.   Hmmm.... sort of like someone who has lived on the plains of North Dakota... and gets the chance of a lifetime to see where the rolling hills take them.

2 comments:

Christine Soccio said...

Wonderful piece. Love your thoughts on the duckface!

Kayleen Ylitalo-Horsma said...

Thanks Christine... it feels good to give myself a fresh 'landscape' to work with :)